Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dolphins anyone?

This morning I already had the title of today's post in my mind - it was going to be called "10 things I hate about Diabetes".

I had planned to go for a walk with a friend right after dropping the kids at school - we both have a zillion things to do - me getting things ready for camp and my friend is heading off on a last minute trip to China tonight - so we were rushed and stressed - but both agreed that that was no excuse to miss our walk.

On the way to where we were meeting, which had actually changed three times between when we woke up this morning and when we actually met, I was in the perfect mood to be planning what I would write today - I was frustrated and short tempered, not only that, the weather was gloomy, hot and steamy but also starting to rain... perfect.

We finally met up at a carwash where my friend had left her car which, fortunately, is right near the beach where we both used to live. So, naturally, today we were walking along Manly Beach again - a lovely walk.

As soon as the ocean came into view my mood began to lift and thoughts of the "10 things I hate" started to drift away and were replaced by thoughts of just how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful place and that even with the clouds and the stifling humidity, it felt great to be out in the fresh air, hearing the sound of the waves crashing on the sand.

Not long into the walk, as we rounded the corner headed towards Shelly Beach we were met with the most beautiful sight of all.

Soooo beautiful that I have to share it with you...


You might want to view this "Full Screen" - will be easier to see. And I apologise for the shaky camera-work - I filmed this on my iPhone.


After witnessing something so amazing it was impossible to have any negative thoughts whatsoever.

So instead, today I am going to write about the 10 things I LOVE about Diabetes - yes, it is possible to LOVE something about Diabetes!

1.    I love how brave my kids are.

2.    I love that they have learned to stand up for themselves and teach people about this disease so that others have a better understanding of Type 1 Diabetes.

3.    I love that my children have developed compassion and understanding towards others who are dealing with difficult situations or medical conditions and that they step in to defend other kids who are having a hard time.

4.    I love that my kids never say "no" to providing support to other kids with T1D, that they're happy to talk to newly diagnosed kids to help them through the early days and weeks.

5.    I love that I have met some amazing people in the Diabetes Online Community, many of whom have become good friends in the "real world".

6.    I love that I have learned what is important and what is not, and to stop wasting time on crap that, at the end of the day, just doesn't matter!

7.    I love that my daughter has decided that she wants to be a famous fashion designer AND set up her own charity to raise funds for research and awareness about Type 1 Diabetes.

8.    I love that my son is determined not to let T1D stand in his way, no matter what he decides to do with his life.

9.    I love knowing that, through the support group I created after Issie's diagnosis, many other families of T1D kids across Australia no longer feel isolated and alone.

10.    I love that I have learned that I CAN make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment