Thursday, February 16, 2012

And now... coming to you from the Canadian Prairies...

Okay, so this is just a quick check in to say...

WE'RE IN CANADA!

After a VERY long trip the weary travellers arrived at about Midday on Saturday. We're slowly adjusting to the time change (well, the kids have adjusted, I'm still roaming around the house in the wee hours of the morning) and my knees have almost recovered from 15 hours crammed in the tiny space that is international long haul economy air travel.


Air Canada were great with helping me out with the kids' considerable insulin supplies.

And a tip for you!

When you're at the gate before everyone starts lining up to board the plane have a chat to the person in charge at the gate (that would be the person walking back and forth between the plane and the gate with a 2-way radio) - and let them know that you're travelling with a child (or children) with T1D and that you need somewhere to store their insulin (for a 15 hour flight - this was essential). I had a word to the Air Canada person in charge, she invited the kids and myself to board with the "pre-boards" (people in wheelchairs or young babies) so that I would have some extra time to get the insulin stored - AND she went down to speak to the cabin crew while they were getting organised so that they could clear a space in their refrigeration unit for me. When I got on the plane (first) they were waiting for me and had a whole drawer in their refrigeration unit reserved for my supplies - and they made sure that all of the cabin crew knew who I was just in case I needed to access any of those supplies during the flight.


Another tip - if your insulin supplies are packed into two separate carry-on bags, make sure they're packed in their own little bag (whether a zip-loc bag or whatever) to make it easier to get out of the carry-on bag for storage in the fridge.


The first day was interesting with the kids' levels, it's cold here, so both have been running low so I've had to adjust basal rates significantly. They're also far more active than they usually are at home - well, there's snow outside, and they have unlimited space to run around and play outside and no neighbours for miles! I'm also finding that pump lines don't seem to like the cold very much. Issie has been through 3 lines since we've been here (and we've only been here 4 nights so far). Fortunately though - Tim's insulin requirements are next to nothing at the moment - so I've even taken his pump off for the time being - we are just doing corrections via injection if he needs anything at all right now - so I shouldn't run out of lines or infusion sets, even allowing for more broken lines.

That's about it from here, we're about to head out to go shopping for ski gear!




No comments:

Post a Comment