Thursday, December 22, 2011

When the Carer needs some care!

Yesterday started out well, better than well - it was great.

The kids have finished school for the year so no rushing around in the mornings. I get to take it easy.

Finally the weather was lovely, after a rather lacklustre start to Summer.

And, a few days before, I'd started to get myself fit - preparing for our trip to Canada and generally finally paying myself a little attention and concentrating on my own health.

So, my day started with a run with Heidi the Wonder Dog followed by a swim then a coffee while I lay in the sun by the pool.

Eventually I decided it was time to get some housework done - and it was time to get the kids out of the house and into the sunshine. I moved the sun-lounge out of the "splash-zone" because I knew that Issie would go in the pool as soon as she came outside, set up a little table next to the sun-lounge, put a book I've had for some time, but hadn't had time to read, on the table and went inside to make another cup of coffee. Once the coffee was made I was ready to go get the laundry basket from upstairs and put the first load of laundry on. My plan was to spend the day by the pool, reading my book, between loads of laundry.

All was going to plan, the coffee was made and I then headed through the dining room en route to get the laundry basket.

And that's when it all fell apart.

There wasn't a lot of room to walk through the dining area because I hadn't yet put away the extra chairs and tables that had been set up for a Christmas party last weekend. So, I didn't take as much care as I should have - and caught my right foot on the corner of a cupboard.

The rest of the day was spent at the hospital.

I had to drive myself of course, although over the last 2 years I've had a lot of practice driving with my left foot (another story) - so this wasn't too much of an issue.

Now, although a broken pinkie toe is not that much of an issue, yes, a bit painful, but otherwise generally manageable - the blow to my foot/toe had enough force to cause a very nasty laceration in a place that is impossible to stitch. So, my toe has been glued back together - which means I am not allowed to walk AT ALL for 4 days and then only limited walking (on my heel only) for at least another week.




Four days of enforced rest. Okay, sure, no problem.

Ummmm - just a little problem....

I'm a single Mum - of 2 kids with T1D.

Night time testing is hard enough at the best of times - crutches makes it sooooo much more fun!

We've reduced the stress a little by having Issie sleep with me for a few days - but I still have to get to Timmy's room.

And that's just night time testing - there's also preparing meals, housework. Oh - and that's right - our family Christmas Dinner in 2 days!

I taught Timmy how to make my cappuccino's - and it's looking like the kids are going to get their first lessons in making my famous Four Mushroom stuffing. Oh, just realised that I need to do the grocery shopping!

Oh well, we'll muddle through somehow - and I have all fingers and non-broken toes crossed that T1D will play nice over the next couple days so that we don't have any Christmas hospital visits!

That reminds me - about 5 minutes after I hurt my foot both kids informed me that their pump sites had come off! I had to do 2 site changes before I took myself to hospital - and Issie's didn't work properly - with a BGL of 26.9 (484) an hour after we arrived at the hospital! Of course, both kids were with me so we somehow managed until we got home and were able to do another site change.

So much for my fitness campaign!





No comments:

Post a Comment