Friday, August 5, 2011

Crazy busy but AMAZING week!

This week has been so crazy that I just don't know where to start!

Early in the week I attended a JDRF Research Luncheon - the guest speaker was the CEO of JDRF International, Jeffrey Brewer. There were only about 30 of us there and it was a great opportunity to learn about what is happening in the JDRF at the moment, what they are focussing on and where they see the JDRF heading in the next few years.

I met a lot of amazing people at the conclusion of that meeting - including Sean Busby and Mollie Shambeau who founded and run Riding On Insulin! Sean and Mollie travel the world running ski and snowboarding camps for kids with T1D! Right up our alley!

When I arrived home from that meeting I had a bunch of emails and messages waiting for me - what was going on??? I'm usually not that much in demand!

Then I found out the reason for all the attention...

We WON the fight to have the Carer Allowance (Child) Legislation changed!

Full details of the campaign and the changes made can be seen on the Carer Allowance (Child) Review - Victory! page on this Blog.

The next evening I attended a "brainstorming" session with the marketing department of a large pharmaceutical company who is developing a School Information Pack for parents of newly diagnosed kids. This meeting involved parents, teachers and a representative from the Australian Diabetes Council - and I'm confident that in the not too distant future this School Information Pack will be included with the information provided to parents of newly diagnosed children so that they can be better prepared and less confused about preparing their child for their return to school after diagnosis. I will keep you posted about this.

The following day I had another meeting with the developers of a non-invasive nocturnal hypoglycaemia monitor that the 2 kids and I have been trialling for the last few weeks. Some very important changes are being made to that device which should be available by the end of the year. Again - I will keep you posted about this!

A VERY productive week!

Oh - and I also delivered to the JDRF the money raised by the kids' school for their Jelly Baby fundraiser - they raised more than $1,200.00!!!

An amazing effort - and an amazing week!

No comments:

Post a Comment